Ambae

Ambae
Home sweet home

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bae mi wok longsaed blo wanem? (What will I be working on?)

Well my "vacation" in Vila is almost coming to an end! I have enjoyed the luxuries of hot showers, clean clothes, cold beverages and delicious food! Training was informative and fun. I loved hanging out with other PCVs and talking with family and friends back home! Now back to the real Peace Corps experience of dirty feet, hairy legs, killing cockroachs, outsmarting rats, eating rice, and talking in Bislama!

I will be coming to Port Vila again in May for in-service training with all of the teacher trainers around Vanuatu. Until then for the next 4 months I will be working on a variety of things.



School starts on February 15th so I will be:
  • teaching in the Volovuhu Centre School library with each class coming once a week and time for the community to come as well
  • working with individual classrooms on literacy pre and post assessments
  • doing workshops on formative assessment
  • classroom observations and model teaching
  • making tippy taps for hand washing (see picture on the right)
  • teaching computer skills and typing to the staff

Here are some of the other ideas I have discussed with my counterpart but do not have immediate plans for yet:

  • Ways to dispose of garbage and batteries (we currently burn everything! eek)
  • English Club
  • Working with students in small groups that need more assistance in literacy
  • Help find grants for getting our solar panels up and running again
  • Re-opening the library in Ndui-Ndui that has not been used in a year due to a political issue
  • Creating manipulatives and classroom resources out of local materials
  • Vision and Hearing Screenings and finding ways of getting glasses for children
  • Making bread with manioc flour instead of white flour
  • Workshops on anything and everything

I am excited to go back to site and actually start doing what I came here to do! When I was on the truck headed to the airport 2 weeks ago to come to Vila a few of the villagers asked me "Where are you going?" I joked with them "Oh, I'm going back to America now!" They said "But you haven't done anything yet!" haha

I guess I better get back there and start making a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment