Ambae

Ambae
Home sweet home

Friday, January 28, 2011

Happy 100th Birthday Bubu David!!

We celebrated the 100th birthday of my Great Grandfather (Bubu) David with style!  Not only did we celebrate his life and accomplishments but his contribution to Vanuatu with his children and grandchildren.

Here are the men of honor!!  My Bubu David is in the middle and his two only living brothers on the right and left.

 A family tree was created to help count the number of grandchildren and great grandchildren he has.  My Bubu (Grandpa Fred) has the most grandchildren to contribute to the count!  I think all together we are over 20!  Bubu David had 13 children and now has over 115 grand or great grandchildren!

Here is Bubu Fred with his father


Gifts in the form of laplap and custom mats were given to family members that continue to go above and beyond in taking care of these elderly gentlemen.  A cow was killed and cooked for a big feast along with lots of cake!   People brought small gifts for each of the men such as soap or clothes.




Some custom dancers from my village, Tavala, came to entertain.  When you like their singing the custom is to "round" them by running and dancing in a circle.  Some ladies from my village grabbed my hand and we joined in the fun!


After the day of celebration, and a big feast, we walked about an hour back to our village around sunset.  These are the moments that I simply love Vanautu's beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment