Ambae

Ambae
Home sweet home

Monday, May 16, 2011

My New House

My old house was awesome!  Hexagon shape...natangura roof...door facing the path towards the village center...good size for one person.  BUT the roof leaked.  A leaky roof means mould, mildew, and Chinese torture drip drip drip into bowls and buckets around the house.  My counterpart felt sorry for me and built me a new house!  Drum roll please....


 This house is an L shape.  There are 3 rooms (kitchen, sitting room, and bedroom).  They plan to build a veranda (porch) in the coming months.  The walls are made of meshanite and covered with a concret wash on the outside.  The roof is made from natangura leaves and keeps a cool breeze passing through at all times.

Here's the kitchen!

I have my 2 burner propane stove, a place to wash dishes, a big drum for holding water, a food safe, and shelves hidden by turtle calico!

 My sitting room has a table for eating and working as well as my comfy reading chair.  Does this make me sound old?  My Papa built me some bookshelves since I spend lots of free time reading.  In the corner of the room I have hung all of the beautiful cards sent from friends and family since I have arrived.  I get lots of snail mail!!  Thanks everyone :)


My bedroom is a bit dark but perfect for sleeping in past 5 AM.  I have my mosquito net covered bed which does wonders to block giant spiders, cockroaches, hornets, ants, millepedes and any other crawling or flying thing!  I have a clothing wardrobe and table for storage.  

 

Hung over my door I have a traditional red mat made on the east side of Ambae.  This was given to me as a gift after I was a bridesmaid for my sister Losa.  Her name was carved into the banana tree with the pattern for this special occasion!

1 comment:

  1. Well, your house looks like a fun place to live in. Not to mention, the way all your furniture and dishes organized is also good to see. So, is the leak fixed?

    ReplyDelete