Ambae

Ambae
Home sweet home

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mom and Dad Visit!

In September last year I got to share my Peace Corps experience with my parents in person!  This is an experience that cannot really be expressed with words.  I can write about Vanuatu, show pictures, tell stories, etc but the only way to truly see what life is like here it to come.  After not seeing them for a full year I was waiting anxiously for them to arrive at Walaha airport.
 
My host family was just as excited to meet Mom and Dad as they were to meet my host family.  Raul and Jerexylne, two of my cousins, welcomed Mom and Dad into our homes with traditional salu salus made from fresh flowers.

We spent time taking in the beautiful island paradise sights...
Relaxing by the ocean at Devil's Rock beach...

Eating freshly caught fish...
and experiencing island living with island baskets, hand woven fans, and bucket showers...


The community was thrilled to finally meet my parents that they had heard so much about and seen in photos. A big official welcoming was held in the church.  The members of the community, including me, sang songs to welcome them.  Mom and Dad even got a chance to give a speech!



After the welcome church service the community had prepared a big spread of food for everyone to share.  This was Mom and Dad's first experience with laplap.  


The kids were also happy to meet them and enjoyed chatting about movies!

Volovuhu School did a big welcome as well.  They wanted to officially thank Mom and Dad for their contributions to the school library.  A couple of the 8th grade boys ushered the two of them into the school boundaries then the whole school sang their welcome song.

Mom and Dad got a chance to visit each classroom.  They sang songs, read books, and answered student and teacher questions about the U.S. 

The teachers prepared a colorful lunch for us to share together and gifted Mom and Dad with a traditonal laplap (called kworo in local language) as a sign of their appreciation as well as some island baskets.
One of my favorite parts of the whole week was seeing Mom and Dad spend quality time with my giant host family.  I spend so much time with my host family in Tavala and they really support me so kindly.  They have quickly become a true second family to me and I was proud to introduce them to Mom and Dad and vice versa.  Now our families have truly merged into one.

Here they are making "storian" under a mango tree just like the locals.  I think Chris is trying to get them to purchase land in Vanuatu!
They had their first and probably last experience tasting kava freshly ground for us by Papa Tensley!
There were plenty of random visits from the kids to see the token white people!
 Even baby Jenny warmed up to them eventually!
Their time in Vanuatu was short but wonderful.  Saying goodbye was emotion filled.  More island baskets and custom red mats were given to Mom and Dad as a thank you for their visit and for allowing me to come live in Vanuatu.  Bubu Fred was grinning ear to ear while handing over his gifts.  Mom and wanted to give each family within my giant host family a small gift as well for their hospitality.  They purchased some more durable mats from our local store to present to each family.
 Before our flight out we had one big family photo taken!  This one will be frame worthy for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

  1. I've accidentally found your blog and stopped to read, fascinated by the pictures.
    All the best.
    Dona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post and pictures sweetie. This shows your life from a whole new angle. I love it!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete