Ambae

Ambae
Home sweet home

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Puss my Rat Killing Machine!

It is not uncommon to have "visitors" at night in Vanuatu.  There are cockroaches, lizards, crabs, spiders, mosquitoes, and worst of all rats.  They can be not only noisy but destructive.  For my rat problem I got a cat and named her "Puss."  Cats in Vanuatu are not like American cats.  They mostly live outside.  They eat table scraps and coconut flesh but their favorite meal is a nice big and juicy rat.
Puss started out a small bony kitten.  She refused to eat and cried all the time.  She probably was given to me too soon because she wasn't able to find food on her own yet.  I had to spoon feed her milk until she became stronger.  But, when I saw her catch and eat her first lizard I was a proud parent. 

Puss doesn't like to stay in my house all day.   She prefers the bush kitchen where there are lots of children to drop food all over the place.  But whenever she needs a quiet place to relax she comes to my house for a visit.  When Mom and Dad were here she came almost everyday!  Another favorite nap spot is right on top of a pile of rubbish! 

Now that she is all grown up she has become a talented rat killer!  This rodent was snatched right from behind my clothing wardrobe in broad daylight!

After playing with it she finally decided to bring the rat back inside to enjoy.  How sweet!








No comments:

Post a Comment